Here are eight easy ways you can shop smart and help keep your identity safe this holiday season.
I got these highlights from Lifelock, a company that offers services to protect identity. I was signed up to this service when my identity was potentially compromised, due to perceived exposure of some sensitivity data.
- Be aware of your surroundings and protect personal space at the ATM and registers.
- Inspect ATMs and points of sale terminals and look for tampering before swiping cards.
- Keep cards in sight when paying to deter dishonest cashiers.
- Store all receipts and closely check your monthly statements to verify transactions.
- Be sure your anti-virus software is installed properly and up-to-date.
- Shop with retailers who you trust and who have a positive Better Business Bureau rating.
- Avoid links. Instead, visit shopping sites by directly typing in their website addresses.
- Don’t purchase items while using public computers or shared wireless networks.